align-justify canada-greenest-employers chevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up minus plus remove search

Students on Unpaid Work Placements - MTCU

The Government of Ontario, through the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU), provides workplace insurance coverage for students on eligible unpaid work placements. Such coverage is intended to create a favourable training environment by encouraging employers to participate in postsecondary work placements. The original MTCU process required a Work/Education Placement Agreement (WEPA) form to be filled out for every student and every placement.

Since 2013, the MTCU issued a revised process, as outlined in its new Guidelines for Workplace Insurance for Postsecondary Students of Publicly Assisted Institutions on Unpaid Work Placements. The main change to the process was that the WEPA form was no longer required. The type of coverage, however, did not change.

The MTCU changes are summarized as follows:

  • WEPA form is no longer required.
  • New - Claim Form is to be filled out only in the event of a placement-related injury/illness.
  • New - Student Declaration must be signed before the placement start date.
  • New - Placement Employer Letter must be signed before the placement start date.

To comply with the MTCU guidelines and provide a framework for Humber and its industry partners, Humber has developed and implemented a policy and procedure for Workplace Safety and Insurance Coverage for Students on Unpaid Work Placements. Links to the policy and procedure, as well as applicable Forms and other information are provided below.

If you have a question, please contact Desta McCalla, Disability & Accommodation Specialist, by email or at ext. 4237.