Slips, Trips and Falls
Last year, slips, trips and falls accounted for approximately one third of all lost time injuries at Humber. That is why it is so important that we all work together to identify and correct slip, trip and fall hazards.
What are some common types of hazards to watch for?
- Slippery floor surfaces caused by spills
- Weather related hazards (e.g. snow/ice) in parking lots and walkways
- Floor mats that are loose or have upturned edges
- Cords and cables running across walkways or other routes of travel
- Tools, equipment or debris left on the floor
- An uneven, or sudden change in floor surface
- Poor lighting
What should you do if you see a slip, trip or fall hazard?
- Report building or grounds-related hazards to Security (416-675-8500) and/or Facilities Management (ext. 4444 or use the Pervidi work order system)
- Report hazards specific to your work area to your supervisor
What other actions can you take to minimize slips, trips and falls?
- Select footwear that is appropriate for your work activities and environment
- Don’t rush; adjust your pace to suit the walking surface
- When carrying objects, ensure that they do not block your view
- Use the handrail on stairs
- Use a stepstool or step ladder rather than a chair or other convenient object to reach an upper shelf, bulletin board or other elevated item